Archive for September 10th, 2010

‘The Liberties of Dublin, 800’

10 September 2010

Contributed by Grace O’Keeffe

In celebration of 800 years of development and change in the Liberties and Dublin, from the 1210 date of King John’s second visit to Ireland, and first as king, the St Nicholas of Myra Heritage Project are currently holding a photographic exhibition in their parish centre, Carmans Hall, just off Francis Street, Dublin 8.

The exhibition which runs daily until 17 September was researched and mounted with the assistance of the Liberties Heritage Association and Maintenance Projects, under the supervision of John Gallagher, Bernard Warfield and John Brogan. John Gallagher’s association with this celebration and exposition of the city is an apt one, three decades ago he refused the summons ordering him to exit the infamous Wood Quay excavation and he subsequently became one of the last to occupy the site.

Although ostensibly focused on the Liberties area (a term which originally referred to the various liberties, or ecclesiastical jurisdictions of local government in Dublin, including Thomas Court and Donore, later the earl of Meath’s liberty, and the liberties of the two medieval cathedrals, St Patrick’s and Christ Church), the exhibitors did not restrict their display to only the history of this area. Read more